The Coalition for Inclusion and Anti-Oppressive Practice brings together organisations with a shared mission to improve diversity within the counselling, psychotherapy and psychological therapy professions.
Coalition joint statement
Its current focus is promoting inclusive and anti-oppressive professional training as part of a greater vision to address further barriers to inclusive practice, particularly in relation to supporting racially and ethnically minoritised communities.
- Association of Christians in Counselling and Linked Professions (ACC)
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP)
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT)
- Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network (MCAPN)
- National Counselling & Psychotherapy Society (NCPS)
- Psychotherapists and Counsellors for Social Responsibility (PCSR)
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Following consultation with trainers and training providers in February 2021, the Coalition partners have agreed to commission and deploy an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit for Counselling and Psychotherapy programmes.
This will support the development of skills, knowledge and understanding for delivering inclusive counselling and psychotherapy training across a range of learning organisations. With an initial focus on race and ethnicity, the primary objectives of the toolkit will be to provide support on three areas of course provision: the institution; the training programme; and the individual tutor.
Race is complicated: A toolkit for psychological therapies training will be launching in October 2023 as an interactive PDF document.
Let’s challenge ourselves – what do race and diversity mean to us? Why does it make us uncomfortable? How can we address it in counselling and psychotherapy? We are inviting you to explore introspectively, reflect and contribute towards change.
Authors, Marcelline Menyié and Danielle Osajivbe-Williams
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.